Forum

Author Topic: .CR2 import strange colors  (Read 10129 times)

Gatto

• View Profile
    • My website
.CR2 import strange colors
« on: April 24, 2011, 10:14:27 PM »
Hi, importing CR2 raw from Canon 40D I see the picture with dominant magenta and times are longer than JPGs, is this normal ?

Here a sample http://www.gatto.com/IMG_9123.CR2

Can be useful to use CR2 to avoid DPP processing to jpg or maximum quality JPG is the same as CR2 ?

Meow

Dmitry Semyonov

• Agisoft Technical Support
    • View Profile
Re: .CR2 import strange colors
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 12:21:46 PM »
Hello Gatto,

CR2 format stores some important information like color balance in the proprietary meta data sections, which are not documented. It's pretty hard to support CR2 format completely. So image colors may differ a little bit from the original photo when importing CR2 in PhotoScan.

I would recommend using either JPEG (lossy) or TIFF (lossless) instead of CR2 if possible.

We have compared 3D reconstructions using the same photos in JPEG and TIFF formats, to see if JPEG compression reduces accuracy of final reconstruction (JPEGs used were obtained directly from the camera, so the exact compression level is unknown). We haven't found any noticeable differences between the results.

So maximum quality JPEGs should be almost the same as raw data. To be absolutely sure, you can try processing TIFF images generated from CR2 data.

P.S. I was unable to download the CR2 image using your link. Can you please resend it by e-mail?

With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
AgiSoft LLC
With best regards,
Dmitry Semyonov
Agisoft

gatsri

• View Profile
Re: .CR2 import strange colors
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 09:20:18 AM »
What about the processing time? Is it much slower with big tiff files?

And the texture? / orthophoto? Big different between tiff and jpg (both from raw data)

Im thinking to buy the canon s110 for my UAV (max. payload with this camera, can'tnget any better...)

Thanks a lot
Cheers