Forum

Author Topic: Photoscan on a laptop  (Read 24432 times)

James

• View Profile
Photoscan on a laptop
« on: March 19, 2013, 03:13:43 PM »
Hi all,

I'm going to be traveling round quite a bit in April collecting images for a couple of projects (terrestrial/architectural) and wanted to get a head start on the processing by doing as much as I can while I'm away.

Can anyone recommend a meaty laptop at ~1500GBP?

So far the best candidate I have seen is the Dell Precision M4700 which can be pre configured with up to 32GB RAM, which is plenty.

I currently have a M4300 which I think is lovely but I need more power!

Thanks

James

jedfrechette

• Lidar Guys
    • View Profile
    • www.lidarguys.com
Re: Photoscan on a laptop
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 07:59:02 PM »
Sager (http://www.sagernotebook.com/) makes really nice laptops. Their laptops are much more customizable than an equivalent Dell, almost as many options as when setting up a desktop. You also see rebranded versions of their systems from a lot of the boutique gaming system vendors.
Jed

James

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 12:39:57 PM »
That looks good! I've just customized my ideal sager laptop and it certainly seems better equipped and less expensive than the dell precision, although i have always found that when buying in the US compared to the UK.

The main difference seems to be that the dell has the nvidia quadro video card, whereas the sager uses the nvidia geforce. I assume the geforce is at least no worse than the quadro for photoscan and possibly better?

Wishgranter

• View Profile
    • Museum of Historic Buildings
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 04:48:29 PM »
Geforce is better and litle faster as quadros, they run on lower frequency.....
----------------
www.mhb.sk

tincansassoc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 05:13:20 PM »
Just for thought, if your laptop had a decent wireless card from a good service provider you may be able to remotely access your desktop from anywhere. The laptop may only be needed to check the alignment  before you transfer everything remotely. This would take a long time with a lot of photos but it could save a lot of money. I think it would depend on your situation. (mostly depending on your access to wireless internet)

Aristarchos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 12:42:17 PM »
Hi James,

You have to know that the AMD Radeon 7870m is faster than Geforce GTX 680m
and the Quadro equivalent in Photoscan. You can check it in this thread: http://www.agisoft.ru/forum/index.php?topic=651.0

It's at least, 66% faster in this opencl based(like photoscan) benchmark :
http://clbenchmark.com/result.jsp

In another opencl benchmark,the SmallLuxGPU rendering application, you can see that the 7870 desktop card (7970M is based on the desktop HD 7870) is 100% faster than Geforce GTX 680 (GTX 680m is based on the desktop GTX 680).http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-review/17

And is 300 euro cheaper!
If you do prefer Dell to Clevo/Sager ,you can check the Dell Alienware gaming notebooks, although they are expensive ones.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:51:10 PM by Aristarchos »

James

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 04:39:30 PM »
Thanks Wishgranter that was what i was hoping/thinking.

Tincansassoc it's a good idea but then i wouldn't have a shiny new laptop to play with (luckily I don't pay for it)! Think i will be staying in the cheapest B&Bs the US has to offer so not expecting much in the way of connectivity, and since it will all be work after normal hours then I should get some reward!

Thanks Aristarchos I will bare it in mind, but now it's getting a bit late and I may have to settle for whatever is available!

I am based in the UK but going to be working in the US so may see if I can arrange to collect it from somewhere over there, as US PCs seem much cheaper and better equipped than UK ones, we do have an office nearby although it is currently unmanned...